Why do you need to know the best online Will Canada has? Having a legally binding Will ready is a major aspect of estate planning.
It is the only way you can ensure your money, possessions, property, and investments (known as your estate) go to the people and causes you want and care about.
However, despite its importance, many Canadians don’t have a Will. Apart from people’s reluctance to discuss their mortality, one other major reason for this is the perceived costs. This is where online Wills come in.
If done properly, an online Will is as legal as a Will drafted by a lawyer and can save several hundred to thousands of dollars.
This guide will cover the list of the best online Will Canada has in 2023, their costs, and the pros and cons.
- Quick Overview: The Best Online Will Canada has in 2023
- What Is an Online Will?
- Are Online Wills Legal in Canada?
- The 5 Best Online Legal Wills in Canada
- 1. Overall Best Online Will in Canada → Epilogue Wills
- 2. Best DIY Online Will in Canada → Canadian Legal Wills (LegalWills.ca)
- 3. Best Online Will in Canada for User Experience → Willful
- 4. Best Online Will in Canada for Standalone Pet Will → FormalWill
- 5. Best Free Online Will, Canada → CanadaWills
- Pros and Cons of Using Online Will Kits, Canada
- How Much Does An Online Will Cost?
- Should I Make a Will?
- Who Would Gain from Making An Online Will?
- Do I Need a Lawyer to Complete My Will?
- FAQs: Best Online Wills Canada
- Final Thoughts on The Best Online Wills in Canada
- Create your Will today!
Quick Overview: The Best Online Will Canada has in 2023
|Online Will Kit||Best For||Availability|
|Epilogue Wills||Lawyer-Quality Documents||All English-speaking provinces in Canada|
|LegalWills||DIY Will Kit & Custom-Tailored Will||All Canadian provinces|
|Willful||User Experience||8 Canadian provinces|
|FormalWill||Standalone Pet Wills||All Canadian provinces|
What Is an Online Will?
An online Will is a Will you create yourself through an interactive online tool. Creating an online Will usually take between 20 to 30 minutes.
You’ll be asked a series of questions concerning your estate. After you’ve provided the correct information, a legal will is generated.
Print out the document and sign it in the presence of two witnesses, and you have your legal Will.
Online Wills are very convenient and affordable compared to going through an attorney. But they don’t provide the legal advice and expertise you’ll get from a lawyer.
Are Online Wills Legal in Canada?
Yes, as long as they are completed correctly, online Wills are legal in Canada. Whether it is completed online, handwritten, or written with the assistance of a lawyer, all Wills have to meet some basic criteria.
Online Will kits work with seasoned estate lawyers to create templates that depict Estate Law in different jurisdictions.
Not every online Will kit company operates in every province. For example, Quebec has a different law, e.g., the option of a notarial will that only requires a notary to sign it. So some online Will kits don’t operate in Quebec.
You can also prepare a living will and a power of attorney through an online Will service. These two documents indicate how you want your health, legal, and personal finance managed.
Finally, there’s one important point to remember: for your online Will to be valid, it has to be printed out on paper and signed in the presence of two witnesses. Signing it online is not a legally recognized validation.
The 5 Best Online Legal Wills in Canada
With the best online will-writing services, you can have your legal will ready in as little as 20 minutes. Since you won’t be using an estate planning attorney, you’ll also save money on the fees.
1. Overall Best Online Will in Canada → Epilogue Wills
Best for Lawyer-Quality Documents
Epilogue Wills was founded by two experienced estate lawyers.
Epilogue stands out from other online Will writing services for their lawyer-quality documents. Their documents have the same quality or even better than what a lawyer would make.
Creating your Will using Epilogue is easy and takes 20 minutes or less. They also provide prompts that guide you from the beginning to the end.
They offer simplified and straightforward pricing. Their Will document service for individuals starts at $139 and goes up to $289 for a couple’s comprehensive Will and Powers of Attorney plan.
Couples can also get two sets of documents, a cost-effective option for couples with different wishes. Some other platforms, on the other hand, force couples to replicate some wishes and choices.
- Available in: All English-speaking provinces in Canada, including Ontario (ON), British Columbia (BC), Alberta (AB), Manitoba (MB), Saskatchewan (SK), Nova Scotia (NS), Prince Edward Island (PEI), New Brunswick (NB) and Newfoundland (NFLD).
- Special Features: The only online Will writing service in Canada with the option of including your RESP in your Will, the only Online Will platform in Canada that can help you name a professional trust company as the executor of your Will, free unlimited lifetime Will updates, and document printing service.
- Cost: $139 to $298.
- Promo Code: Use THEFINANCEKEY20 to get a $20 discount
“I highly recommend using Epilogue. I was really impressed at how fast and convenient it was. I filled it out on my phone in less than 20 minutes.” –
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️, Matt W.
Here’s my full Epilogue Wills review if you’d like to know more about this online Will maker.
For $20 off any Epilogue Will package, use Promo Code → THEFINANCEKEY20 ← at checkout.
2. Best DIY Online Will in Canada → Canadian Legal Wills (LegalWills.ca)
Best for Custom-Tailored Will
LegalWills is one of Canada’s most popular online Wills, living Wills, and power of attorney service provider. They’ve been in operation for over 23 years.
This service costs $39.95 for a single Will and $59.95 for a mirrored Will (for couples). If you add a living Will or power of attorney, you’ll pay a separate $19.95 or $29.95, respectively.
LegalWills also offers free updates for one year, and you have the option of paying a one-time fee to get unlimited updates and storage beyond a year.
- Available in: All Canadian provinces, including Quebec.
- Special Features: “Build Your Own” Will – The most comprehensive and flexible online Will service in Canada, Expatriate Will – offers separate Will to cover assets outside Canada (for assets held in the US and the UK, and India through partnership) and document printing service.
- Cost: Starts at $39.95 for a single Will ($79.90 for couples) with the option to include several other estate planning add-ons depending on your needs.
- Promo Code: Use THEFINANCEKEY20 to get a 20% discount
“My step mom passed away and the Will from LegalWills was accepted by the banks and government without any problem” –
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️, K.Fu (Vancouver, BC).
For 20% Discount off any Legal Wills package, use Promo Code → THEFINANCEKEY20 ← at checkout.
3. Best Online Will in Canada for User Experience → Willful
Willful was founded in 2017 and has become a top choice for legal online Wills in Canada.
Due to the platform’s extremely user-friendly design, creating a Will on Willful doesn’t take time. Within 20 minutes, you’ll have your Will ready. The simple questionnaire clearly explains every step of the process.
Pricing is transparent and straightforward. Willful Will-kits start at $99 for the Essentials Plan, $189 for the Premium Plan, and $329 for the Couples/Family Plan.
The Essentials Plan provides you with a last will and testament so you can establish who your estate representative will be, your intentions for your minor children, and other wishes.
The Premium Plan includes a power of attorney for health (living Will) and property.
- Available in: Ontario (ON), British Columbia (BC), Alberta (AB), Manitoba (MB), Nova Scotia (NS), New Brunswick (NB), Saskatchewan (SK), and Quebec.
- Special Feature: Willful $329 Premium Coverage for Family plan allows anyone to purchase up to 6 Premium plans as part of their plan (even after the original purchase) and send/gift them to family/friends. These are all individual plans and do not share accounts; the user gets to buy them at once (at a bundle discount) and invite other users to their plan.
- Cost: $99 to $329.
- Promo Code: Use this unique link to get a 15% discount (no promo code is required)
Here’s my full Willful review if you’d like to know more about this online Will service. You may also check out my Willful vs Epilogue Wills review for a detailed comparison of these two popular Canadian online Wills platforms.
Get 15% Discount off any Willful plan (no promo code is required).
4. Best Online Will in Canada for Standalone Pet Will → FormalWill
Best for Lawyer Review Service
FormalWill is an online Will kit service founded by a lawyer. They’ve been in operation for over a decade.
They offer a unique lawyer review service should you want a lawyer to look at your Will more closely. The review service costs start at $149.
They offer custom Will kits that are tailored to work with each Canadian province or territory. They offer four different packages: a Legal Will for $59, a Living Will for $39, a Power of Attorney for $39, and a Pet Will for $59.
To update or make changes to your legal documents (Will, Power of Attorney, and Living Will), you must buy a “peace of mind bonus.”
- Available in: All Canadian provinces and territories.
- Special Feature: They offer lawyer review services if you want a lawyer to provide you with legal advice regarding your Will and power of attorney documents. FormalWill.ca is currently the only Online Will provider in Canada that offers this unique estate planning service.
- Cost: $39 to $249. Pricing varies based on the package you select.
- Promo Code: Use THEFINANCEKEY to get a 10% discount
“I live in Alberta. What I really like about FormalWill is how easy it was and that I could try it out first and only once I was satisfied it would proceed to payment. This is a great service!” –
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️, Bob S.
For 10% Discount off any FormalWill package, use Promo Code → THEFINANCEKEY ← at checkout.
5. Best Free Online Will, Canada → CanadaWills
CanadaWills is a 100% free online will kit platform that relies solely on donations. So, you can make your legal will online, as well as a living will and advance directive, at no cost.
You fill in all the necessary information online, print out a PDF version of the document, and sign it in the presence of two witnesses who are non-beneficiaries of the Will.
While it is great that it’s a free option, the drawback is it does not offer the same level of customer service and support offered by the other estate planning companies on this list.
Pros and Cons of Using Online Will Kits, Canada
Online will services aren’t perfect. These are the benefits and drawbacks associated with creating your will online.
They are Affordable
You will save hundreds of dollars that you would have spent on fees to create a Will with a lawyer. The cost of making an online Will is also transparent and fixed. You won’t need to go through the stress of shopping around to compare fees offered by different law firms.
An Online Will usually takes less than one hour to complete. On the other hand, a Will drafted by a lawyer will require up to two meetings which can span over a couple of weeks or even a month.
You will be given directions and guidance on how to cover each section of the Will, the requirements for signing, and how to store your will safely.
The entire online will creation process is effortless, and you can complete it right from your home. Online platforms allow you to change as many things as you want on your Will before you print it out for signing. If your situation changes, you can also update the document, reprint it, and sign it.
Not Available Everywhere
Not all online platforms are available in every province, and most are not present in Quebec.
Not Suitable for Complex Situations
Online Will kits are not ideal for people with complicated legal situations, complex assets, or properties overseas. Such individuals would need customized Wills and legal advice.
However, if you choose to use FormalWill.ca to create your Will online, you have the option of getting personalized legal advice with an add-on.
Related Content -> How to write a Will in Canada
How Much Does An Online Will Cost?
An online Will cost in Canada is dependent on the service you choose.
Generally, online Will services from companies such as LegalWills.ca start at $39.95 for a single person and $59.95 for a couple. However, depending on your circumstances and wishes, you may require additional services that could drive up the cost between $150 – $450.
It’s essential to be mindful of what services you actually require and compare prices between online providers to find the best priced online Will for your needs.
For instance, if you use an online Will service like Epilogue or Willful, they offer straightforward pricing. This way, you know upfront what your online Will would cost, which is between $99 to $329.
Ultimately, online Wills are an affordable way to get your affairs in order without paying high lawyer fees.
The following are the online Will cost for Canada’s most trusted online Will providers:
|Cost for Will Only (Basic Coverage):||N/A||$39.95||$99||$59|
|Cost for Couple Will||$229 (does not force a couple to mirror their wishes)||$59.95, mirror Will only||$329 (this includes POA and Living Will)||$118, mirror Will only|
|Cost for Will Only (Premium Coverage):||$139||$69.95-$99.95||N/A||$98|
|Cost for Will & Power of Attorney (Premium Coverage):||$179||$99.95-$129.95||$189||$137|
|Straightforward Pricing?||✅ Yes||❌ No||✅ Yes||❌ No|
|Established & Operated by Lawyers?||✅ Yes||❌ No||❌ No||❌ No|
|Lawyer Approved Documents?||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Document Printing Service?||✅ Yes, for $19.95||✅ Yes, for $9.95||❌ No||❌ No|
|Option to add assets outside Canada to Will?||❌ No||✅ Yes. US, UK & India||❌ No||❌ No|
|Option of including your RESP in your Will?||✅ Yes||❌ No||❌ No||❌ No|
|Option to have document reviewed by a lawyer?||❌ No||✅ Yes, for an additional fee||❌ No||✅ Yes, for an additional fee|
|Option to name a trust company as Executor of your Will?||✅ Yes||❌ No||❌ No||❌ No|
|Backed by a Canadian Bank?||✅ Yes, Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)||❌ No||❌ No||❌ No|
|Pet Trust?||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||⛔️ No, but standalone pet Will is available|
|Free Funeral Wishes||✅ Yes||⛔️ Available for an additional fee||✅ Yes, in the Will||✅ Yes, through additional Will clauses|
|Free Affidavit of Execution ($40 value)?||✅ Yes||❌ No||✅ Yes||❌ No|
|Free Social Media Will||✅ Yes||❌ No||❌ No||❌ No|
|Free Updates||✅ Unlimited, Lifetime update||⛔️ Unlimited, for 1 year only. An additional fee of $124.95 for unlimited, lifetime updates.||✅ Unlimited, Lifetime update||❌ Once a year through “peace of mind bonus.”|
|Availability||9 provinces – ON, BC, AB, MT, NB, NL, NS, PEI, & SK||Across Canada, in all provinces and territories||8 provinces – ON, BC, AB, MT, NS, NB, & QC||Across Canada, in all provinces and territories|
|Promo Code (see below)||✅ Get $20 off.||✅ Get 20% off.||✅ Get 15% off.||✅ Get 10% off.|
|Start Your Will →||Go to Epilogue||Go to LegalWills.ca||Go to Willful||Go to FormalWill.ca|
Canadian Online Wills Promo Code ⤵️
- Epilogue Wills Promo Code “THEFINANCEKEY20“. Get a $20 discount off any Will plan. Start My Will →
- LegalWills.ca Promo Code → Use promo code “THEFINANCEKEY20“. Or click this link to get a 20% discount automatically applied to your order.
- FormalWill.ca Promo Code → Use promo code “THEFINANCEKEY“. Or click this link to get a 10% discount automatically applied to your order.
- Willful Promo Code → Click this special link to get a 15% discount automatically applied to your Willful plan order (no promo code is required).
Should I Make a Will?
Before you decide whether to go with an online Will kit or with a lawyer to draft your Will, you need to know if you actually need a Will or not.
Is there anybody that depends on you financially? If your answer to this question is yes, then you need to have a Will. Your Will ensures your assets go to the right person(s) and communicates your wishes. If you have minor children, it also gives you some control over how they’d be cared for.
Therefore following this logic, almost every Canadian should have a Will. But not every Canadian has complex legal needs that require the services of an attorney, and that’s where online Will kits in Canada come in. In many cases, an online will-making service is enough to establish your final wishes.
Who Would Gain from Making An Online Will?
If you fit into any of the following categories, an online Will may be the right fit:
- You don’t have any complex scenarios or need to create unique stipulations regarding your beneficiaries.
- You want to make Power of Attorney documents to list your wishes and designate someone to make decisions for you if you become ill or physically unfit (also called a living will).
- You have a child or children.
- You are a pet owner. If you are a dog owner, it is important you understand why all dog owners need a Will.
- You have property, assets, or investments in Canada.
- You want to leave particular gifts (e.g., antiques or art).
- You want to leave a part of your estate or a cash gift to charity.
- You’re single, married, divorced, or in a common-law partnership.
Your Will should not contain anything that is not outrightly yours. These include assets that have named beneficiaries like:
- Life insurance proceeds.
- Brokerage or investment accounts.
- Proceeds from retirement accounts and pension plans.
- Earnings from payable-on-death bank accounts.
Do I Need a Lawyer to Complete My Will?
Most Canadians do not need to have a lawyer to complete their Wills. Online Wills have been created or assessed by estate lawyers in your province and are adequate to cover most circumstances.
However, a lawyer is the better choice in complex situations like remarriage, leaving out one of your family members from your Will, having considerable assets abroad, and owning a company.
FAQs: Best Online Wills Canada
Are online wills legal in Canada?
Yes, online wills are legal in Canada. The best online legal will in Canada is Epilogue Wills.
Is it legal to write your own will in Canada?
Yes, it is legal to write your own will in Canada. See the step-by-step guide on how to write a will in Canada.
Are online wills any good?
Yes, online wills are good as long as you do the needful. To ensure you have a legally binding will, use the service of reputable Will service providers such as Epilogue Wills or Canadian Legal Wills (LegalWills.ca).
Is a will legal without a lawyer in Canada?
Yes, a Will is legal without a lawyer in Canada.
Where Can I Get the Best Free Will Kit in Canada?
The best free will kit in Canada can be gotten from CanadaWills, LawDepot, The Free Will Kit, and Free Legal Will Kit. See my full review of Free Will Kits in Canada.
Can I Get a Will Kit For Free in Canada?
Yes, you can get a Will Kit for free in Canada. Discover free Canadian Will Kit options.
Final Thoughts on The Best Online Wills in Canada
Voila! There you have it… The best online Will Canada has.
Online Wills are a cheaper and more accessible option for most Canadians but before deciding on one of the options, be sure these platforms can handle your legal situation.
Online Wills are designed for straightforward Wills that only involve assigning assets, care of dependents, and making plans for your final days.
If you have a more complex legal situation, an online Will kit may not be sufficient to handle your legal needs, and you should request the services of a lawyer.
That being said, if you have simple legal requirements, online Wills are a superb and cost-effective way to create a legally binding Will conveniently. And now, with our discount codes, it even gets better:
✔️ Epilogue Wills Promo Code (THEFINANCEKEY20), you can get a $20 discount off your Will plan. Start My Will →
✔️ Legal Wills Promo Code → Use promo code (THEFINANCEKEY20) or click this link to get a 20% discount automatically applied to your order.
✔️ FormalWill Promo Code → Use promo code (THEFINANCEKEY) or click this link to get a 10% discount automatically applied to your order.
✔️ Willful Promo Code → Click this special link to get a 15% discount automatically applied to your Willful plan order (no promo code is required).
Remember, if you decide to get an online Will, you must print and sign it in the presence of two non-beneficiary witnesses to make it legally binding.
More on Wills Online, Canada
- Best Online Wills in Canada
- Canadian Will Kit (Best Online Will Kit, Canada)
- Online Wills in Alberta
- Online Wills in BC
- Ontario Will Kit (Free & Best Online Will Kit, Ontario)
- Epilogue Wills Review → Epilogue Wills Promo Code
- Willful Wills Review
- Epilogue Wills vs Willful
- Canadian Legal Wills (LegalWills.ca) Promo Code
Charity (Charee) Oisamoje is the founder of TheFinanceKey - TFK. She leads the editorial team, which is comprised of subject-matter experts.
Her professional competencies and expertise make her qualified on this topic. She is an expert at collecting details, verifying facts, and making complex subjects easy to understand.
Backed by Solid Credentials: MBA in Finance Canadian Investment Funds (IFIC) Graduate Masters Degree in International Business Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Candidate ✔️Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) ✔️BSc Accounting
Learn More >> About Page