Why do you need to know the best online Will Canada has?
Having a legally binding Will ready is a major aspect of estate planning.
It is the only way you can make sure your money, possessions, property, and investments (all known as your estate) go to the people and causes you want and care about.
However, despite its importance, many Canadians don’t have a Will. Apart from people’s reluctance to discuss their mortality, one other major reason for this is the perceived costs. This is where online Wills come in.
If done properly, an online Will is as legal as a Will drafted by a lawyer and can save several hundred to thousands of dollars.
In this post, we’ll cover the list of the best online Will Canada has in 2022, their costs, and the pros and cons.
- Quick Overview: The Best Online Will Canada has in 2022
- What Is an Online Will?
- Are Online Wills Legal in Canada?
- The 5 Best Online Legal Wills in Canada
- 1. Overall Best Online Will in Canada for Advisors & Lawyer-Quality Documents → Epilogue Wills
- 2. Best DIY Online Will in Canada → Canadian Legal Wills (LegalWills.ca)
- 3. Best Online Will in Canada for Custom-Tailored Wills → FormalWill
- 4. Best Online Will in Canada for User Experience → Willful
- 5. Best Free Online Will, Canada → CanadaWills
- Benefits and Downsides of Using Online Wills, Canada
- Should I Make a Will?
- Who Would Gain from Making An Online Will?
- Do I Need a Lawyer to Complete My Will?
- FAQs: Best Online Wills Canada
- Final Thoughts on The Best Online Wills in Canada
- Create your Will today!
Quick Overview: The Best Online Will Canada has in 2022
|Online Will Kit||Best For||Year Established||Availability|
|Epilogue Wills||Best for Advisors & Lawyer-Quality Documents||2020||Available in all English-speaking provinces in Canada|
|LegalWills||Best for DIY Will Kit||2000||Available in all Canadian provinces|
|FormalWill||Best for Custom-Tailored Will||2010||Available in all Canadian provinces|
|Willful||Best for User Experience||2017||Available in 8 provinces|
|CanadaWills||Best for Free Online Will in Canada||2000||Available in all provinces except Quebec|
What Is an Online Will?
An online Will is a Will you create yourself through an interactive online tool. Creating an online Will usually take between 20 to 30 minutes.
You’ll be asked a series of questions concerning your estate. After you’ve provided the correct information, a legal will is generated.
Print out the document and sign it in the presence of two witnesses, and you have your legal Will.
Online Wills are very convenient and affordable compared to going through an attorney. But they don’t provide the legal advice and expertise you’ll get from a lawyer.
Are Online Wills Legal in Canada?
Yes, as long as they are completed correctly, online Wills are legal in Canada. Whether it is completed online, handwritten, or written with the assistance of a lawyer, all Wills have to meet some basic criteria.
Online Will kits work with seasoned estate lawyers to create templates that depict Estate Law in different jurisdictions.
Not every online Will kit company operates in every province. For example, Quebec has a different law, e.g., the option of a notarial will that only requires a notary to sign it. So some online Will kits don’t operate in Quebec.
You can also prepare a living will and a power of attorney through an online Will service. These two documents indicate how you want your health, legal, and personal finance managed.
Finally, there’s one important point to remember: for your online Will to be valid, it has to be printed out on paper and signed in the presence of two witnesses. Signing it online is not a legally recognized validation.
The 5 Best Online Legal Wills in Canada
With the best online will-writing services, you can have your legal will ready in as little as 20 minutes. Since you won’t be using an estate planning attorney, you’ll also be saving money on the fees.
1. Overall Best Online Will in Canada for Advisors & Lawyer-Quality Documents → Epilogue Wills
Epilogue Wills was founded by two experienced estate lawyers, Daniel Goldgut and Arin Klug.
Creating your Will using Epilogue is very easy and takes approximately 20 minutes. Their Will document service for individuals starts at $139 and goes up to $289 for a couple’s comprehensive Wills and Powers of Attorney plan.
They also provide prompts that guide you from the beginning to the end. They offer simplified and straightforward pricing from $139. With $179, you can add Power of Attorney to your Will, and the two plans offer free updates at any time.
Couples can also get two sets of documents for $289, a cost-effective option for couples with different wishes. Some other platforms, on the other hand, force couples to replicate some wishes and choices. Then you can update your documents online at any time at no cost.
Epilogue stands out from other online Will writing services for their lawyer calibre documents. Their documents have the same quality or even better than what a lawyer would make.
Another thing that sets them apart is their focus on assisting professional advisors (investment advisors, insurance professionals, and accountants) to create Wills for their clients. They do this by providing them free dedicated live chat, email, and phone support.
Like other online Will service providers, Epilogue does not offer any legal or professional advice.
- Two former experienced estate lawyers founded Epilogue Wills.
- Available in all English-speaking provinces in Canada, including Ontario (ON), British Columbia (BC), Alberta (AB), Manitoba (MB), Saskatchewan (SK), Nova Scotia (NS), Prince Edward Island (PEI), New Brunswick (NB) and Newfoundland (NFLD); with more provinces on the way.
- Services Offered: Wills, Power of Attorneys, and Affidavits of Execution.
- Pricing is straightforward, starting at $139 up to $289.
- The only online Will service in Canada founded and run by experienced estate planning lawyers.
- The only online Will platform in Canada that has the option of including your RESP in your Will.
- An Affidavit of Execution is included with every Will. This is standard practice when completing a Will with a lawyer, but is not included with most online Wills platforms.
- They offer lawyer-quality documents.
- Their documents are more “future-proof” than other online Wills platforms in Canada. For example, it does not need to be updated if you have more kids.
- The founders have several years of experience as estate lawyers, so the platform is robust.
- The platform is simple, easy to use, and has a helpful learning center.
- Free updates at any time.
- Reliable customer support.
- Dedicated assistance for professional advisors is available.
- Not available in Quebec. Their goal is to be Canada-wide in a couple of months.
“I highly recommend using Epilogue. I was really impressed at how fast and convenient it was. I filled it out on my phone in less than 20 minutes.” –
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️, Matt W.
Here’s my full Epilogue Wills review if you’d like to know more about this online Will maker.
For $20 off any Epilogue Will package, use Promo Code → THEFINANCEKEY20 ← at checkout.
2. Best DIY Online Will in Canada → Canadian Legal Wills (LegalWills.ca)
LegalWills is one of Canada’s most popular online Wills, Living Wills, and power of attorney service providers. They’ve been in operation for over twenty (20) years.
This service costs $39.95 for a single Will and $63.92 for a mirrored Will (for couples). If you add a living Will or power of attorney, you’ll pay a separate $19.95 or $29.95, respectively.
LegalWills also offers free updates for one year, and you have the option of paying a one-time fee to get unlimited updates and storage beyond a year.
- Available in all Canadian provinces, including Quebec.
- Pricing is straightforward and depends on your needs ($39.95 for a single Will; $79.90 for couples).
- Free updates for one year.
- Services Offered: Will, Living Will, Power of Attorney, Expatriate Will, and several other estate plan add-ons.
- It is very affordable.
- The tools provided are lawyer-approved.
- Excellent customer support.
- The instructions are simple and clear. Any confusing information is explained in plain words.
- You can choose from several unique add-ons to add to your Will to customize it. For example, Expatriate Will for Assets Held in Canada, in the United States, or in the United Kingdom.
- Free updates are for one year only.
“My step mom passed away and the Will from LegalWills was accepted by the banks and government without any problem” –
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️, K.Fu (Vancouver, BC).
For 20% Discount off any Legal Wills package, use Promo Code → THEFINANCEKEY20 ← at checkout.
3. Best Online Will in Canada for Custom-Tailored Wills → FormalWill
FormalWill is an online Will kit service founded by a lawyer. They’ve been in operation for over a decade.
They offer custom Will kits that are tailored to work with each Canadian province or territory. They offer four different packages: a Legal Will for $59, a Living Will for $39, a Power of Attorney for $39, and a Pet Will for $59.
To update or make changes to your legal documents (Will, Power of Attorney, and Living Will), you will have to buy a “peace of mind bonus.”
They offer a unique lawyer review service should you want a lawyer to look at your Will more closely. The review service costs starts at $149.
- Available in all Canadian provinces and territories.
- Pricing varies based on the package you select.
- Services Offered: Legal Will, Living Will, Power of Attorney, and Pet Will.
- They offer a lawyer review service.
- Canadian lawyers designed the platform.
- The platform’s interface is user-friendly.
- Available everywhere across Canada.
- They offer lawyer review services if you want a lawyer to provide you with legal advice regarding your Will and power of attorney documents. FormalWill.ca is currently the only Online Will provider in Canada that offers this unique estate planning service.
- You’ll have to buy a “peace of mind bonus” to make changes to your estate planning documents.
“I live in Alberta. What I really like about FormalWill is how easy it was and that I could try it out first and only once I was satisfied it would proceed to payment. This is a great service!” –
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️, Bob S.
For 10% Discount off any FormalWill package, use Promo Code → THEFINANCEKEY ← at checkout.
4. Best Online Will in Canada for User Experience → Willful
Willful is a relatively new online Will in Canada. It was founded in 2017 and has become a top choice for legal online Wills in Canada.
Due to the platform’s extremely user-friendly design, creating a Will on Willful doesn’t take time. Within 20 minutes, you’ll have your will ready. The simple questionnaire clearly explains every step of the process.
Willful Will-kits start at $99 for the Essentials Plan, $189 for the Premium Plan, and $329 for the Couples/Family Plan. This tiered pricing format ensures you only pay for the services you need.
The Essentials Plan provides you with a last will and testament so you can establish who your estate representative will be, your intentions for your minor children, and other wishes.
The Premium Plan includes a power of attorney for health (living Will) and property. The Couple’s/Family Plan allows your spouse to complete the same documents.
- Available in: Alberta, Ontario, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, British Columbia, and Quebec.
- Pricing is transparent and straightforward.
- They offer three Plans: Essentials, Premium & Couples at $99, $189, and $329, respectively.
- The platform’s user interface is easy to use.
- Excellent Customer support with live chat functionality
- Services Offered: Last Will and Testament, Mirrored Wills, Power of Attorney, Healthcare Emergency Representatives & Wishes.
- Extremely user-friendly platform.
- They offer unlimited, free updates.
- Legal documents are created with the guidance of estate planning lawyers
- Not available in every Canadian province.
- Not ideal for people who own homes in multiple countries.
Check out my Willful vs Epilogue Wills review for a detailed comparison of these two Canadian online Wills platforms.
Get 15% Discount off any Willful plan (no promo code is required).
5. Best Free Online Will, Canada → CanadaWills
You fill in all the necessary information online, print out a PDF version of the document, and sign it in the presence of two witnesses who are non-beneficiaries of the Will.
While it is great that it’s a free option, the drawback is it does not offer the same level of customer service and support offered by the other estate planning companies on this list.
- Available in all Canadian provinces except Quebec.
- Zero cost.
- Services Offered: Last Will and Testament, Living will, and Advance Directive.
- Free medical power of attorney and advanced directive available.
- It includes pet care provisions.
- Will creation is 100% free.
- Not ideal for people with complex estate or financial situations or who own property in multiple countries.
- Very limited customer service.
Benefits and Downsides of Using Online Wills, Canada
Online will services aren’t perfect. These are the benefits and drawbacks associated with creating your will online.
They are Affordable
You will save hundreds of dollars that you would have spent on fees to create a Will with a lawyer. The cost of making an online Will is also transparent and fixed. You won’t need to go through the stress of shopping around to compare fees offered by different law firms.
An Online Will usually takes less than one hour to complete. On the other hand, a Will drafted by a lawyer will require up to two meetings which can span over a couple of weeks or even a month.
You will be given directions and guidance on how to cover each section of the Will, the requirements for signing, and how to store your will safely.
The entire online will creation process is effortless, and you can complete it right from your home. Online platforms allow you to change as many things as you want on your Will before you print it out for signing. If your situation changes, you can also update the document, reprint it, and sign it.
Not Available Everywhere
Not all online platforms are available in every province, and most are not present in Quebec.
Not Suitable for Complex Situations
Online Will kits are not ideal for people with complicated legal situations, complex assets, or properties overseas. Such individuals would need customized Wills and legal advice.
However, if you choose to use FormalWill.ca to create your Will online, you have the option of getting personalized legal advice with an add-on.
Related Content -> How to write a Will in Canada
Should I Make a Will?
Before you decide whether to go with an online Will kit or with a lawyer to draft your Will, you need to know if you actually need a Will or not.
Is there anybody that depends on you financially? If your answer to this question is yes, then you need to have a Will. Your Will ensures your assets go to the right person(s) and communicates your wishes. If you have minor children, it also gives you some control over how they’d be cared for.
Therefore following this logic, almost every Canadian should have a Will. But not every Canadian has complex legal needs that require the services of an attorney, and that’s where online Will kits in Canada come in. In many cases, an online will-making service is enough to establish your final wishes.
Who Would Gain from Making An Online Will?
If you fit into any of the following categories, an online Will may be the right fit:
- You don’t have any complex scenarios or any need to create unique stipulations regarding your beneficiaries.
- You want to make Power of Attorney documents to list your wishes and designate someone to make decisions for you if you become ill or physically unfit (also called a living will).
- You have a child or children.
- You are a pet owner. If you are a dog owner, it is important you understand why all dog owners need a Will.
- You have property, assets, or investments in Canada.
- You want to leave particular gifts (e.g., antique or art).
- You want to leave a part of your estate or a cash gift to charity.
- You’re single, married, divorced, or in a common-law partnership.
Your Will should not contain anything that is not outrightly yours. These include assets that have named beneficiaries like:
- Life insurance proceeds.
- Brokerage or investment accounts.
- Proceeds from retirement accounts and pension plans.
- Earnings from payable-on-death bank accounts.
Do I Need a Lawyer to Complete My Will?
Most Canadians do not need to have a lawyer to complete their Wills. Online Wills have been created or assessed by estate lawyers in your province and are adequate to cover most circumstances.
However, a lawyer is the better choice in complex situations like remarriage, leaving out one of your family members from your Will, having considerable assets abroad, and owning a company.
FAQs: Best Online Wills Canada
Are online wills legal in Canada?
Yes, online wills are legal in Canada. The best online legal will in Canada is Epilogue Wills.
Is it legal to write your own will in Canada?
Yes, it is legal to write your own will in Canada. See the step-by-step guide on how to write a will in Canada.
Are online wills any good?
Is a will legal without a lawyer in Canada?
Yes, a Will is legal without a lawyer in Canada.
Where Can I Get the Best Free Will Kit in Canada?
The best free will kit in Canada can be gotten from CanadaWills, LawDepot, The Free Will Kit, and Free Legal Will Kit. See my full review of Free Will Kits in Canada.
Can I Get a Will Kit For Free in Canada?
Yes, you can get a Will Kit for free in Canada. Discover free Canadian Will Kit options.
Final Thoughts on The Best Online Wills in Canada
Voila! There you have it… The best online Will Canada has.
Online Wills are a cheaper and more accessible option for most Canadians but before deciding on one of the options, be sure these platforms can handle your legal situation.
Online Wills are designed for straightforward Wills that only involve assigning assets, care of dependents, and making plans for your final days.
If you have a more complex legal situation, an online Will kit may not be sufficient to handle your legal needs, and you should request the services of a lawyer.
That being said, if you have simple legal requirements, online Wills are a superb and cost-effective way to create a legally binding Will conveniently. And now, with our discount codes, it even gets better:
✔️ Willful Promo Code → Click this special link to get a 15% discount automatically applied to your Willful plan order (no promo code is required).
Remember, if you decide to get an online Will, you must print and sign it in the presence of two non-beneficiary witnesses to make it legally binding.
More on Wills Online, Canada
- Best Online Wills in Canada
- Canadian Will Kit (Best Online Will Kit, Canada)
- Online Wills in Alberta
- Online Wills in BC
- Ontario Will Kit (Free & Best Online Will Kit, Ontario)
- Epilogue Wills Review → Epilogue Wills Promo Code
- Epilogue Wills vs Willful
- Canadian Legal Wills (LegalWills.ca) Promo Code
Charity (Charee) Oisamoje is the founder of TheFinanceKey - TFK. She leads the editorial team, which is comprised of subject-matter experts.
Her professional competencies and expertise make her qualified on this topic. She is an expert at collecting details, verifying facts, and making complex subjects easy to understand.
Backed by Solid Credentials: MBA in Finance Canadian Investment Funds (IFIC) Graduate Masters Degree in International Business Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Candidate ✔️Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) ✔️BSc Accounting
Learn More >> About Page