There’s nothing wrong with spending your life acquiring wealth and estates.
There’s however a challenge when you breathe your last,and your wealth and estates prove useless to your family and loved ones.
Often, this happens when no proper and valid Will is strategically in place to hand over your wealth and your estates to your loved ones and those you believe deserve it.
- What is a Will Kit?
- Are Online Will Kits Legal in Ontario?
- DIY Free Will Kit Ontario, Canada
- Free DIY “Fill-in-the-Blanks” Will Kit vs Online Will Kit Platforms
- Best Online Will Kits Platform in Ontario, Canada
- 1. Overall Best Online Will Kit Ontario for Lawyer-Quality Documents → Epilogue Wills
- 2. Most Affordable & Customisable Online Will Kit Ontario → Canadian Legal Wills
- 3. Best Online Will Kit in Ontario for Access to Lawyer Network → FormalWill.ca
- 4. Willful
- Comparison: Best Online Will Kit Ontario, Canada
- Benefits of Using an Online Will Kit Platform, Ontario
- Downsides of a Will Kit
- The Importance of a Will
- FAQs: Ontario Will Kit
- Ontario Will Kit in a Nutshell
Trust me; creating a legal Will in Ontario is more complex than scribbling a couple of words on paper.
On that note, I’ve explored all you need to know about Ontario Will Kit. I hope it’ll help you decide which online Will kit in Ontario is all-encompassing for your needs.
Let’s dive in!
What is a Will Kit?
A Will kit is a pre-packaged will-writing kit that allows individuals to create a Will without the assistance of a lawyer.
Will kits usually come with step-by-step instructions and all the necessary forms, making the will-writing process relatively simple and straightforward.
However, it is important to note that Will kits are not suitable for everyone.
In particular, individuals with complex estate planning needs or those who are unsure about what they want to include in their will may be better off working with a lawyer.
But for those who have a clear idea of their estate planning goals and are comfortable following written instructions, a Will kit can be an excellent way to create a legally binding Will without incurring the cost of hiring a lawyer.
Are Online Will Kits Legal in Ontario?
Yes, online Will kits are legal in Ontario as long as they are executed properly.
Criteria for a Legal Ontario Will
There are actions that need to be taken in order to render a Will valid and legal in Ontario. The following are the criteria to legalize a Will kit in Ontario.
- You must be the age of majority in Ontario. However, there are a few exceptions to this – a member of the armed forces, marriage, or if you have children
- You must be of sound mind in order to create a legally binding Will
- After completing your Will with a fill in the blanks Wills kit, it needs to be printed
- The Will has to be signed in wet ink in the presence of two witnesses – whose signatures must be on the Will as confirmation
- You must sign at the end of the Will. It is also a good idea to write your initials on every page of the Will
- You must store a physical copy of the original Will
As long as the above requirements are met, an Ontario Will kit is just as legal as a Will that is prepared by a lawyer.
DIY Free Will Kit Ontario, Canada
The following are popular free DIY “Fill-in-the-Blanks” Will Kit options in Ontario:
DIY free Will kits do not come with the ease, convenience, and customization of an online will kit platform.
For example, you will not get any assistance along the way with filling in the standard form nor will you be assisted with executing your Will.
More details below.
Free DIY “Fill-in-the-Blanks” Will Kit vs Online Will Kit Platforms
Online will kit platforms have several advantages over DIY Fill-in-the-Blank Will kits.
First, you can make relevant customization to an online Will kit just like you would when you’re with an expert estate planning lawyer. The best part about online wills is using a reliable online platform (such as Epilogue Wills)
You would feel like a lawyer is right there with you, guiding you through the process of filling and tweaking some of the contents of the legal documents to meet your need.
Online Will kit platforms are are easy and convenient to use in creating a legal Will in Ontario.
Best Online Will Kits Platform in Ontario, Canada
If you’re looking to create your will in Ontario, it’s best to use an online Will kit platform. Don’t know which online will kit Ontario is reliable?
Check out these four Ontario Will kit platforms for your estate planning purposes.
1. Overall Best Online Will Kit Ontario for Lawyer-Quality Documents → Epilogue Wills
- Pricing: Starts at $139
- Availability: All English-speaking provinces in Canada, including Ontario (ON)
- Resources: A learning center to teach you everything you should know about filling a will- from glossaries to how-to.
Why Epilogue Wills is the Best Ontario Will kit Platform
Epilogue Wills is the best online Will Kit in Ontario for several reasons:
- Speed: In just 20 minutes, you can create a legally enforceable Will.
- Expertise: Epilogue Wills is currently the only online Will Kit platform in Canada that is founded and run by two experienced estate planning lawyers. Thus, their legal documents and software are built on over a decade of expertise.
- Lawyer-Quality Documents: Their Wills and power of attorney documents are comparable to and frequently superior to those that a lawyer would create.
- More Complete Service from Start to Finish: Guidance through the entire process and until the documents are signed, with prompts to make sure the signing is done right.
- Lifetime Unlimited Free Updates: Make changes when you feel the need. Epilogue Wills ensures you can make adjustments or updates to your will easily and conveniently, free of charge.
Here’s my full Epilogue Wills review if you’d like to know more about this online Will kit in Ontario.
For $20 off any Epilogue Will package, use Promo Code → THEFINANCEKEY20 ← at checkout.
2. Most Affordable & Customisable Online Will Kit Ontario → Canadian Legal Wills
- Pricing: Starts at $39.95
- Availability: All Canadian Provinces
- Other Documents: This allows you to create other documents like mirrors and living wills, power of attorney, etc.
Canadian LegalWills is the most affordable Ontario online will kit platform that you can lay your hands on. But that doesn’t mean they lack all the important features to help you draft a legally-binding will.
With just $39.95, you’ll get a Will tailored to your needs and interest.
For 20% Discount off any Legal Wills package, use Promo Code → THEFINANCEKEY20 ← at checkout.
3. Best Online Will Kit in Ontario for Access to Lawyer Network → FormalWill.ca
- Pricing: Starts at $59
- Availability: All Canadian Provinces
- Unique Features: Access to lawyer network and the ability to create a standalone Pet Will (Pet Guardian Agreement).
If you’re not confident about the information in you Will or if your estate is complex, you can purchase FormalWill’s “Lawyer Network” add-on.
This add-on comes as a package with some bonus items and costs between $149 to $249, depending on the estate planning document you want the lawyer to review.
With the “Lawyer Network” add-on, you will get legal advice from a licensed lawyer in Ontario who can answer your questions/concerns, advise you, and meet with you to sign and witness your Will and power of attorney.
For 10% Discount off any FormalWill.ca package, use Promo Code → THEFINANCEKEY ← at checkout.
- Pricing: Starts at $99
- Availability: 7 provinces, including Ontario (ON)
- Resources: Online blog, learning center.
This Ontario will kit is pricey compared to it direct competitor – Epilogue Wills.
Willful offers three estate planning options, so you can choose anyone that works for you. The plans are called basic, premium, and couples – pricing range from $99 to $329.
Although Willful is not founded by an estate planning lawyer, their documents are created with the guidance of estate planning lawyers.
Comparison: Best Online Will Kit Ontario, Canada
|Best for:||Overall Best & Best for Lawyer-Quality Documents||Most Affordable & Best for Custom-Tailored Wills||Best for Access to Lawyer Network||User Experience|
|Available in Ontario?||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Premium Coverage – Will Only:||$139||$69.95-$99.95||$98||N/A|
|Premium Coverage – Will & Power of Attorney:||$179||$99.95-$129.95||$137||$189|
|Free Affidavit of Execution ($40 value)?||✅ Yes||❌ No||❌ No||❌ No|
|Free Social Media Will||✅ Yes||❌ No||❌ No||❌ No|
|Promo (See codes below)||✅ Get $20 off||✅ Get 20% off||✅ Get 10% off||❌ N/A|
|Go to Site||Go to Site||Go to Site||Go to Site|
Online Will Kit Ontario – Promo Codes ⤵️
✔️ FormalWill Promo Code → Use promo code (THEFINANCEKEY) or click this link to get a 10% discount automatically applied to your order.
Benefits of Using an Online Will Kit Platform, Ontario
There are several benefits to using an Ontario will kit platform over hiring a lawyer to draft your Will.
First of all, it’s much less expensive. A lawyer can charge hundreds or even thousands of dollars to draft a will, whereas an Ontario will kit costs only a fraction of that amount.
Another benefit is that you have complete control over what goes into your will. With a lawyer, you may have to make compromises in order to keep costs down. With an Ontario will kit, you can include everything you want without worrying about the cost.
Finally, using an Ontario will kit is far simpler than hiring a lawyer. You don’t have to take time out of your busy schedule to meet with a lawyer, and you can complete the process at your own pace in the comfort of your own home.
In a nutshell, here are some of the benefits of an online will kit:
- It can be customized to meet individual needs.
- Provides support and guidance required to complete the form.
- It helps you clarify your needs and what you want.
- It makes it easy to add the power of attorney document.
- It is cost-effective
Downsides of a Will Kit
The main downside to using an online will kit is that there is typically not enough legal guidance for you if your estate is complex.
However, if you use FormalWill.ca to create your Will, they provide lawyer review services if you want a lawyer to take a look at your Will.
The Importance of a Will
Wills are important for a couple of reasons. Here are some of these reasons.
- To put your financial assets and estates in the hands of a trustworthy individual
- The court might not rule in favour of an important person in your life without a will.
- Control how much of your personal finances go to your family members and other people you care about.
- It helps you highlight your funeral and end-of-life wishes
- It protects your assets generally.
FAQs: Ontario Will Kit
Are Online Will Kits Legal in Canada?
Yes, will kits are legal. What legalizes a will kit is the witnessing and the official signature on it. These two elements are what legalize a will kit in Canada.
Are DIY Wills Any Good?
Yes, they are but in certain contexts. For instance, a DIY will be perfect if your financial assets aren’t complicated. However, without the proper guidance of a professional, you might make mistakes in your DIY will that could render it invalid.
Can I Write My Own Will and Have It Notarized?
Yes, you can write your own will. As long as you would capture all the important details and ensure the will fulfils the conditions and requirements of the state, you can have it notarized.
Are DIY Wills Legally Binding?
Yes, DIY wills are legally binding if they are duly signed by the necessary figures in the presence of the relevant witnesses.
What Are the Three Conditions to Make a Will Valid?
There are a couple of factors that make a Will valid. For starters, the testator (the person who is making the will) has to sign the will. You have to write it voluntarily and not under duress. Also, ensure that it is either typed and printed or handwritten.
Can You Get a Will Kit from the Post Office?
No, you can’t get a will kit from the post office. The reason is that they do not offer any services to help you write your will. The highest you can get from a post office is necessary to support the management of a dead person’s estate.
Free Will kit Ontario Government?
There is no official free Will kit offered by Ontario government. However, the government of Ontario do provide free resources on estate planning and also downloadable templates for Will.
Fortunately, there is no preferred Ontario Will kit, therefore you can use any of the services we have mentioned in this guide. There shouldn’t be any problems as long as you execute your Will correctly. However, if your financial situation or estate is complex, it may be prudent to engage the servies of a lawyer.
Ontario Will Kit in a Nutshell
As an adult, who is a resident of Ontario, you know that it’s important to have a Will in place. But what if you don’t have the time or money to hire a lawyer?
Luckily, if your affairs are relatively simple, an Ontario will kit can be a great way to create a legally binding document without having to spend a lot of money on a lawyer.
However, if you have complicated financial assets and estates that you’d like to distribute in a ‘not-so-simple’ way, it’s best to get legal advice. This can be achieved by creating your Will online with FormalWill.ca and getting their “Lawyer Network” add-on, which is pretty affordable compared to the current hourly rate of a lawyer.
Likewise, if you have complex assets or a large family, it’s probably best to consult with an estate planning lawyer to create a custom Will.
More on Wills Online, Canada
- Best Online Wills in Canada
- Canadian Will Kit (Best Online Will Kit, Canada)
- Online Wills in Alberta
- Online Wills in BC
- Ontario Will Kit (Free & Best Online Will Kit, Ontario)
- Epilogue Wills Review → Epilogue Wills Promo Code
- Epilogue Wills vs Willful
- Canadian Legal Wills (LegalWills.ca) Promo Code
Charity (Charee) Oisamoje is the founder of TheFinanceKey - TFK. She leads the editorial team, which is comprised of subject-matter experts.
Her professional competencies and expertise make her qualified on this topic. She is an expert at collecting details, verifying facts, and making complex subjects easy to understand.
Backed by Solid Credentials: MBA in Finance Canadian Investment Funds (IFIC) Graduate Masters Degree in International Business Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Candidate ✔️Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) ✔️BSc Accounting
Learn More >> About Page